At Morning Star International School, we understand the profound significance of nurturing a child’s mother tongue. While the excitement of teaching children English is undeniable, we recognize that the cornerstone of language proficiency lies in embracing and enhancing their mother tongue fluency.
Surprisingly, the more proficient a child becomes in their mother tongue, the smoother their journey becomes in acquiring additional languages, including English. Hence, when students and parents are faced with language choices, we strongly advocate for the preservation and cultivation of the mother tongue.
Understanding the Mother Tongue
A child’s mother tongue is the first language they learn as babies, distinct from languages acquired later in life, such as those learned in school or as adults.
Why Does it Matter?
Research underscores the pivotal role of nurturing one’s mother tongue as a crucial step in mastering additional languages. Furthermore, the ongoing development of the mother tongue from childhood through adulthood has been linked to strong language skills and cultural and historical connections.
Parental Support for Language Development
Children entering school with a strong foundation in their mother tongue experience multifaceted advantages, from personal cultural and familial connections to enhanced intellectual growth and literacy skills, including proficiency in other languages.
To support your child’s mother tongue development, you can:
1. Engage in conversations with your child, sharing stories enriched with varied vocabulary, idioms, and expressive language.
2. Introduce traditional songs, poems, and nursery rhymes in your native language.
3. Ensure access to storybooks in the mother tongue and read to them regularly.
4. Dedicate time to extended conversations in your mother tongue, involving all family members.
5. Promote the use of the mother tongue at home, encouraging your children to do the same.
6. Explore age-appropriate shows in your native language for your child to enjoy, utilizing online viewing platforms with language settings options.
The Power of the Mother Tongue in Learning
Strength in one’s mother tongue can significantly facilitate the acquisition of other languages. This transferable skill set encompasses literacy, social, critical thinking, and communication skills. Moreover, it nurtures expressive language, enabling children to convey their emotions effectively.
So, if you aspire for your child to excel in English, even if it’s not your native language, the most effective approach is to celebrate and prioritize your home language. Spend quality time engaging with your child through reading, writing, and speaking in their mother tongue. At Morning Star International School, we recognize the value of this approach and are committed to supporting the development of well-rounded, linguistically adept learners.
Read more about Top International School in Vietnam here.
Explore English Center here.